Stockton Dementia Awareness Week
Dementia Awareness Week takes place from 15 – 21 May and is a national campaign which aims to raise awareness of dementia and support people living with the condition.
Throughout the week there will be information stands in Stockton Borough libraries and the University Hospital of North Tees, group discussions in the LiveWell Dementia Hub and awareness sessions with schoolchildren which introduce them through stories and games to the concept of memory loss.
The activities will launch on Sunday 15 May with a family ‘Wild Food Walk’ event in Preston Park at 10.30am. Hosted by Groundwork North East, the walk promotes horticultural activities that encourage people to live well with dementia.
Residents can also take advantage of free health checks which include information about lifestyle choices and how to reduce the risks associated with dementia, while other planned activities include free activity taster sessions designed to help people stay physically and socially active. Click here for more information where to obtain a free health check.
Sunday 15 May
- Wild Food & Foraging Walk. Free guided walk around the grounds of Preston Park, Preston Hall Museum (10.30 to 12pm)
Monday 16 May
- Dementia Friends Session with information, refreshments and chat. Thornaby Library (1.30pm to 2.30pm)
- Advice and information stand, health checks, Billingham Library (10am to 4pm)
- Different Types of Dementia presentation (10am to 12pm), Bookchat session with reading, fun activities and light refreshments (1.30pm to 2.30pm), both at LiveWell Dementia Hub, Thornaby
Tuesday 17 May
- Dementia Friends Session, Billingham Library (10am to 11am)
- Advice and information stand, (10am to 4pm), Thornaby Library
- Understanding delirium session followed by Dementia Voices Stockton presentation, (10am to 12pm), drop-in session using touch screen technology (2pm to 4pm), both at LiveWell Dementia Hub, Thornaby
- Creative Age Programme, ARC Stockton (all day)
Wednesday 18 May
- Dementia Friends Session, Norton Library (10am to 11am)
- Advice and information stand, health checks, Stockton Central Library (10am to 4pm)
- Busking for Dementia, Wellington Square (12.15pm to 1.15pm)
- Psychological Assessment & Interview (presentation) (10am to 12pm), Dementia Friends Session (1.30pm to 2.30pm), both at LiveWell Dementia Hub, Thornaby
Thursday 19th May
- Dementia Friends Session, Stockton Central Library (1.30pm to 2.30pm)
- Advice and information stand, health checks, Norton Library (10am to 4pm)
- Planting and Cooking taster session with Groundworks North East, Thornaby Swimming Baths (10am to 12pm)
- Reminiscence memory session, Memory Lane Billingham Café and Drop in (11.45am to 2.15pm)
- Dementia Awareness/What is Dementia? session, LiveWell Dementia Hub, Thornaby (1.30pm to 3.30pm)
Friday 20th May
- Dementia Friends Session (10.30am to 11.30pm), advice and information stand (10am to 4pm), both at Fairfield Library
- Dementia Voices Stockton coffee morning with touch screen activity session, LiveWell Dementia Hub, Thornaby (10am to 12pm)
To see the full programme of Dementia Week activities across the Borough, click here.
For further information about dementia or Dementia Awareness Week, contact the LiveWell Hub on 01642 527363 or visit the Stockton Information Directory.